>> December 29, 2013
TITLE: Biomechanical comparison among sprint start, sled pulling, and countermovement jump
PURPOSE: To compare KINETICS, KINEMATICS, and MUSCLE ACTIVITY among the sprint start, sled pulling, and CMJ
KINEMATICS - analyses of movement parameters such as velocity, acceleration etc.
KINETICS - involve the forces that will govern those parameters, such as impulse, torque etc.
In short, kinematics-kinetics study movement in the aspect of movement patterns (kinematics), and forces that govern such patterns (kinetics).
They used electromyography (EMG) to study muscle activity. EMG? it is a tool to assess electrical activity produced by muscles (check muscle activity).
WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU GOING TO ADDRESS HERE (Applications in training and actual performance setting) ?
1) It is important to know how different exercises used by sprinters RELATE to the SPRINT START.
2) How different exercises INFLUENCE on the sprint start PERFORMANCE.
3) Maybe the aspect of SPECIFICITY of training as well?
-nine (9) male track and field athletes (intermediate level, 8 years experience) as subjects
1) Usage of the sled pulling and CMJ in training can be recommended to
give positive changes in the activation of gluteus maximus (very crucial during starting using the blocks) during the block start
2) Sled pulling may be effective to improve the sprint block start.
3) Countermovement Jump may be effective to improve the sprint block start.
WHY? high SPECIFICITY in the angular velocities. SIMILAR movement pattern. Have got positive transfer here. Positive transfer could mean to improved ability in the sprint block start from those exercises.
Check out reference for further reading